Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wow! An hispanic woman. Who would have guessed?

I'm a little disappointed that after less than 5 months in office President Obama is already SOOO predictable.
In keeping with his 'politics of identity' he has selected Sonia Sotomayor as his nominee to the Supreme Court. An utterly predictable, political move.
While I could take up much space criticizing this nomination, (and may do so later) suffice for now to make the most cogent of all the arguments.
We've forgotten the most basic principles upon which our nation was framed by our inspired Founding Fathers. One of which is the apolitical nature of the judicial branch. The reason federal judges are not elected, and once appointed cannot be removed, is to prevent their appointments from becoming politicized.
Yeah, I know, sounds funny today.
There is not supposed to be any political litmus test for nominees. (Despite what you've heard from Sen. Schumer.) It shouldn't matter if a Justice is conservative, liberal, or anywhere in between. It shouldn't matter because a Justice is supposed to check those biases at the door. When the robe goes on, the politics and ideology go out.
Which brings us to the only legitimate litmus test for nominees to the courts. Are they able to elevate themselves above their biases and let justice truly be blind?
And it is this test which Sotomayor, based on her record and her own words, fails miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.