Saturday, December 25, 2010

D.A.D.T still exists, but with a twist.

This week Congress repealed the 17 year old policy, Don't Ask Don't Tell. I have several concerns about this.
*I don't understand the necessity. Gays were already legally permitted to serve in the military. They were only prevented from making an issue of their sexuality. It seems to me that what Congress and Pres. Obama have really done, perhaps unwittingly, is to open the door for activist, in-your-face gays to begin stirring up strife from within. Does anyone believe that this tactic, or any other, would be beneath the anti-military left?
*At one time it was illegal for gays to serve at all. Any homosexual serving in the military, if discovered, could be discharged. Don't Ask Don't Tell seemed a good compromise, permitting gays that truly only wanted to serve to do so provided they didn't make a spectacle of their sexuality. But as is usually the case with liberal activists and movements, it still wasn't enough. They want the force of government to force people to accept their lifestyles. Anyone believing the movement will stop here is naive to say the least.
*Through this action our federal government has made the transition from tolerating the homosexual lifestyle, to endorsing it. For those of us that believe scripture, the biggest threat posed by homosexuality to our nation, particularly as it gains mainstream acceptance, is the potential it represents for bringing God's condemnation.
*Now that homosexuals have basically become a specifically protected class in the military, those that do believe in scripture and traditional values now become the ones that must remain silent about who they are.
I guess you could say that Don't Ask Don't tell is still the policy, but with a twist. It will now be illegal for military to be openly Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.