Today is Christmas Day. Those of you with families know that the true meaning of Christmas is assembling, programming, and/or operating. :-) This morning my daughter was trying to figure out her new cell phone. She called out to me asking me how to activate a specific function. When I replied "Read the instructions", I was met, but not surprised, by a chorus of laughter from all my kids at the thought doing such a thing. I bet you're thinking the same thing right now.It seems to be extremely common to want to bypass reading the instructions and just figure things out on our own. How much more wise would it be to read the instructions written by the creator of the item? How much more useful and fulfilling would the item be if thoroughly understood?
Deciding to go it on our own is always a risk. We know that instinctively. But the stakes vary. Putting together a $10 toy with 6 parts is low stakes. Assembling a $1000 workout machine, with lots of moving parts, is more likely to inspire one to read the instructions first.
We are all here trying to build ourselves into something that will more closely resemble our Heavenly Parents. There are lots of moving parts and sometimes it's hard to distinguish the right ones from the wrong ones. Failure brings an awful price. Father has provided us assembly instructions, if we'll take time to study them.
What will you do?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.