Saturday, October 20, 2012

A propensity for intensity

Personalities don't just come in different types and shapes, they come in different sizes too.
I have a larger than average personality.
Our personalities are not only made of up of individual traits, but how they mix and combine together. 
When you magnify charisma with a big personality, you end up with someone that's "larger than life".  Enlarge a less charismatic personality and you'll often just end up with someone that is "over the top".  I, unfortunately, am the latter.
This is not something of which I am completely ignorant.  But all too often awareness dawns just a little too slowly, leading to regret and remorse. 
With conscious effort I've learned to hold it in check most of the time.  But sometimes it seems to just come pouring out like a salt shaker cap someone failed to secure properly.  The results are similar too: someone ends up with more of my personality than they wanted. Sometimes a LOT more.
To people with normal size personalities, surrounded by other normal people, I can appear stressed, upset, or even angry when I'm not.  They mistake a sudden change in VOLUME of personality as a mood change. This is where the regrets come in because I can make people uncomfortable. That in turn sometimes leaves me feeling somewhat foolish.
I'll continue to work on managing it. It doesn't always fit with my desire to be more Christ-like. Meanwhile I hope those to whom I am close have, or will, come to understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.