Friday, November 2, 2012

What will we leave our children?

Our founders, having fled the tyranny of an overbearing government, envisioned a nation with liberty as its foundational principle.  This principle of self-mastery and individual sovereignty, designed my God, eloquently expressed in the Declaration of Independence and codified in the Constitution enabled a relatively young nation to become the most productive, innovative, successful and powerful nation in the world's history.  This was due, in no small part, to the struggles faced by the generations: taming the land, expanding our reach, surviving by their wit and industry.  Through difficult eras of expansion, depression, and wars our resolve to our founding principles brought us through. 
But there is a consequence to such prosperity.  Well-meaning people began to forget that it was liberty that crafted our success and struggle that forged our character.  Many people began to believe, and many still do, that it is somehow compassionate to shield their children, and others, from such struggles and instead to ease their burdens.  Our national character suffered.  Now a large part of our population believe that the government should provide security rather than protect liberty.  This has spawned a generation now vying for leadership of the nation that has and fosters an entitlement mentality. Like any other Ponzi scheme it is short-sighted and ultimately unsustainable.
I believe the result will be that future generations, perhaps our children or grandchildren, will have neither liberty nor security.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.