Welcome to the depository for my random thoughts and ruminations. Here you will find my thoughts on whatever. But it's safe to presume they will generally concern current events, politics, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and how they all intersect in my view. There may also be a smattering of other interests, which include hunting and pretty much anything cowboy. Bookmark it. It will soon be one of your favorite websites.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
At what price freedom?
They ran to escape a court order mandating that he begin chemotherapy. His family objects to the procedure for religious reasons.
I would certainly make a different decision if it were my child. And a part of me is glad Daniel will now be getting the life saving treatments.
But I'm flabbergasted at the court's intrusion.
I imagine some of you reading this post agree with the judge's decision to issue the court order, overriding the wishes of Daniel's parents. After all, doctors say he'll die without the treatments. Surely any religious belief that causes parents to risk their child's life is irrational. Right?
But I think there is a higher principle at stake. Perhaps a couple. Religious freedom and parental rights.
How long will it be until a judge somewhere rules one of your religious practices to be irrational?
1 comment:
Thanks for leaving your comments. Feel free to be forthright and blunt. I have no problem with disagreement. Please do refrain from using any profanity, bigotry or name calling. All comments are moderated, which means I have to approve them before they will be posted. ANONYMOUS comments will not be published. I put my name on my opinions for all to judge, I will only publish comments likewise submitted.
I'm adding 2 addenda to my comments policy.
1) The invitation to leave comments about my posts is not to be construed as an invitation to endless, pointless debate. I do have a life away from this computer, and don't wish to spend what time I do have lingering on one topic. There's too much going on. Sincere questions will be answered. Questions designed to simply be the starting point for argument may be considered rhetorical.
2) This is MY blog. I have recently discovered the inability of some to remain on topic. I reserve the right to deem comments too stupid to use up my space.
Since when has chemotheraphy always been the best route for cancer treatment? Who is to say that the cheomtheraphy will save his life? Can the parents make the government/court accountable if the chemotheraphy doesn't work? I think it is absurd to take away parental and religious rights.
ReplyDelete